Through the last couple of weeks at uni we've been flat out with assignments, which of course means I've been doing A LOT of procrastinating. It's not all bad news though! During one particularly productive procrastination session I planned out an excursion in Arthur's Pass. About an hour west of Christchurch along SH73 there's a sweet little loop heading from the highway side up the Cass River valley. The walk is largely through beech forest following typical South Island freshwater streams. Hopefully we don't have a lot of this rain this week, or the stream crossings will get a bit hairy! (shout out to Heather, Becky, Emily and Scott - RIP dry clothes).
We're planning it to be a good effort, with at least a full car of us heading up. A good stash of bevvies is on the packing list too, so that should keep things interesting. It'll only be a matter of time before someone ventures out for a late night nudie dip in the stream, I reckon. We'll be staying in Hamilton Hut - a 20 bunk mansion of a hut! I've included a link to photos and topo maps of the area, if you're interested.
I'll try and get a few photos of my own to chuck up here when we get back.
That's all for now! :)
Topo map of the loop: http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ll=-43.085815,171.680604&z=12
Photos:
http://www.deanmyerson.org/files/photo%20archive/foreign/nz2009/nz09%20061.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh-DfSrfqGA2cWmkKYVwqvgfGIG93rRUSxUguLH4NzziFq6Q_drBuWI4SkilmhmVUnJYUq5_rMcHp6pC3MTLAXXZDw8-BWOBv_12cK6UZVB-1fuJuaRo56I2d0CI3G9WGWfO3ataR5JGZLu/s1600/_MG_8091.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5203/5358653052_6c8fa7fed2_z.jpg
Fabulous photos. Looking forward to the report.
ReplyDelete