Friday, 25 July 2014

Mt Hutt Hustle

Scott, Cam and I were waiting for a bit of a dump of snow before last weekend to make a trip to Hutt feasible. We got it too- during Saturday there was 30cm of fresh powder laid down. So, naturally, we left early Sunday morning.

The corolla charged hard up the Mt, leaving many an Audi Q7 in our wake. Some early cloud burned off within half an hour to reveal a spectacular view of the west coast ranges in their winter coats. The first few runs were amazing- cutting tracks in powder and finding my way around the field. I've never been snowboarding at Mt Hutt field, or in proper powder before, so it was 100% novelty! We spent the day going a bit faster than we should've and bailing heaps; I think we nailed it. Scott had his GoPro mounted on his helmet and managed to catch a bit of the carnage. We pulled out some of the good/funny bits out and made a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMGBibiY-0) so hopefully you can all have a chuckle at our expense (btw I'm the boarder in the Waikato beanie, orange coat, blue pants).

I'd love to get up again this weekend- apparently Mt Lyford is mean as at the moment- but my wallet has other plans... :(

In other adventure-related news, Pondy and I are planning a trip out to lake Coleridge to have a crack at some inland trout/ salmon, so that should be sweet! Might even make it the first official FishSoc outing.

I'll keep ya posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment