Went out for a wander along the Waihou river today to have a stab at some trout. The part of the Waihou that I went to is halfway between Tirau and Putaruru, just off SH28 [http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ll=-38.020341,175.813967&z=15 ]. All of the trout I saw were well under the legal 30cm size though, as the larger trout have moved down river to the mouths. I did have a crack at a few groups of them, but only managed to catch tree branches and river weed. Classic.
It was a sweet spot though. The river is spring-fed, which explains the crystal clear blue water. Waihou means 'new water' in maori, which is fitting.
Here are a couple of my favourite pictures from the trip!
(I took some of the pictures through my polaroids to cut the glare off the water, so I've had to play with the colours on some of them to get them looking normal again)
| How do trout get up these!? |
| One of the locals- spot the trout. |
"Beautiful things don't ask for attention" - James Thurber
Cheers for looking!
No comments:
Post a Comment